Monday 7 July 2014

The 5 secrets of trust



Do you recognize this feeling: we are a strong team, yet there is still something missing, and things are not running smoothly. Developing a strong team is an art in itself. Usually the team-members start off with enthusiasm. Slowly that initial energy flows away though. But why?

The following overview of the various phases of team-development shows that this is actually absolutely normal, and part of the normal process towards becoming a strong team...
  1. Forming: you start together, and you are excited about forming a new team.
  2. Storming: everyone is searching for his/her own place within the group, and you struggle between trust and a slight distrust.
  3. Norming: everyone has found his/her place, there are clear processes installed, and everyone is able to use his/her strengths.
  4. Performing: the team starts to become really productive, which gives everyone another extra energy boost.
Since the "storming phase" appears to be so crucial within the entire process, and because trust is the key theme here, lets take a look at the 5 secrets of trust:
  1. Self-confidence: he, who doesn’t trust himself, will not easily gain the trust of others. A healthy trust comes into being when you embrace your skills and your history.
  2. Credibility: you gain the trust of others when you act with integrity. You are sincere, you admit your wrongs, you dont gossip, and you show respect to others.
  3. Reliability: I do what I say Ill do. I am punctual and organized. I take responsibility for myself and for my work.
  4. Competence: I strive to be good at what I do, and I try to keep on growing in my profession. I use my competences to support others.
  5. Giving trust: I give others my trust, and I have the courage to take a first step. I am an emphatic listener.
Trust doesnt grow automatically; it has to be developed consciously. Plus, it doesnt simply continue to exist. It has to be cared for. It is quite like a vine: you have to make sure that it is watered regularly, that stands in fertile ground. You have to prune it a little every now and then, you have to support it in its growth. And, most importantly, you have to treat it with love. Then, after some time, it will produce the most wonderful wine.


Good luck with building and restoring trust within your team.

No comments:

Post a Comment